“Have the passion, bake cupcakes & magic will happen.” @CupcakeQuotes
Well it’s upon us again folks. Yes Columbus Day has rolled round upon us again and it’s about this time of year I like to step into the kitchen and cause me some carnage. I thought I would share my special spiced cupcake recipe with you guys 😉
Self-contained and satisfying, it summons memories of childhood even as it’s updated for today’s sweet-toothed hipsters (chai latte cupcake, anyone?) The best thing is you don’t have to share — it’s strictly a one-person affair, thank you very much.
For those of you joining us today from the Arabic speaking world there’s a handy version of this yummy recipe here somewhere, have a yourselves a good rummage.
Here’s what you need for about 24 cupcakes
(All of the specialty items can be purchased at Whole Foods)
• 2 1/2 cups oat flour
• 1 1/2 cups raw sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
• 3/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1 cup low-fat almond milk & lemon juice
• Applesauce or bananas (in place of two eggs) — you can possibly add vinegar, brown sugar and cinnamon
• 3 tablespoons beet juice (from a can of beet juice)
• 1 teaspoon white vinegar
• 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
Here’s what you do:
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put liners in a cupcake or muffin pan. Make in batches if you don’t have enough pans for the full amount.
• In a large bowl sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
• In a different bowl, whisk the vegetable oil, almond milk, egg-substitute, beet juice, vinegar, and vanilla extract.
• Mix the flour and oil mixtures and beat with an electric mixer until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour the batter into the cupcake liners and bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan after 10 minutes. The batter is pretty thin, so be careful when you pour it in the liners!
• When the cupcakes cool completely, frost them with the Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe immediately following.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
• 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened
• 1/4 cup nondairy butter, softened
• 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (it’s worth buying if you don’t have it, just to make this frosting!)
• 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
• Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes if frosting isn’t firm enough.
How ’bout them cupcakes?